The TRUA program is to assist residents of the City & County of Denver who are facing a housing crisis or hardship due to circumstances beyond their control. The financial assistance is a grant to help mitigate displacement and/or eviction to help residents stabilize their housing condition and if need be, provide time for locating alternative housing for longer-term stability. The funds can also assist with utility payments for those residents that have received disconnect notices and or delinquent. Residents may receive up to three months of rental assistance, as well as one month of assistance for Xcel Energy and one month of assistance for Denver Water.
ASSISTANCE IS ONLY FOR CITY AND COUNTY OF DENVER RESIDENTS. FOR ASSITANCE OUTSIDE OF DENVER PLEASE CALL 211.
For rental assistance with Northeast Denver Housing Center, you must live in the following zip codes: 80010 (Denver County residences), 80014 (Denver County residences), 80203, 80205, 80206, 80207, 80218, 80220, 80222, 80224, 80230, 80231 (Denver County residences), 80237, 80238, 80239, 80246 (Denver County residences), 80247 (Denver County residences), and 80249. If you are currently living in one of the zip codes above please call NDHC at 720-726-4031.
The Steps to Take:
1. Call 311 and press 6. This will direct you to a City staff member that will ask you a few quick questions, such as what your zip code is. They will then direct you to a local non-profit that administers the TRUA program.
2. Leave your name, phone number, property address including your zip code, and what kind of assistance you are seeking: rent, Xcel Energy and/or Denver Water – please speak slowly and clearly on the phone bank you have been directed to.
3. The administering agency will call you back within 48 business hours to provide you with the application form. You will be asked to provide:
A copy of your photo ID
Proof you are a City & County of Denver resident
Proof of your household income
Information about the cause of your housing crisis and financial need
Other supporting documents, as each case may be different
4. Complete the TRUA application (TRUA English, TRUA Spanish, TRUA Utilities Only English, TRUA Utilities Only Spanish) and send it back as directed along with supporting documents. If you need the application in another language, please call 720-726-4031. Your application will not be processed until ALL required and requested information is provided and the file is complete. A housing counselor/resource navigator will contact you regarding the need and status of your application. Once your application is complete and approved, the financial assistance will be issued directly to your Landlord and/or your Utility provider.
1. There is an Income Limit. Your household cannot make more than 80% of the area median income as determined by HUD/the City of Denver.
2. The program is for temporary assistance when faced with a crisis. It is NOT an ongoing rental assistance program. A temporary crisis that caused you to fall behind on housing payment will need to be demonstrated.
The housing counselor/benefit navigator will provide additional information.
Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP):
ERAP is a state-wide rental assistance program to assist residents of Colorado who are facing a housing crisis or hardship due either directly or indirectly to COVID-19. The financial assistance is to help mitigate displacement and/or eviction to help residents stabilize their housing condition and if need be, provide time for locating alternative housing for longer-term stability. Residents may receive assistance up to 12 months in arrears, one month of assistance for the current month, and two months for future assistance for a total of 15 months.
Navigate to your county’s page and click on “Rent Assistance Info”. This will take you to the page which describes all required documentation for the landlord and the tenant applications. Please note the applicant’s landlord will also need to create an application within the ERAP online application portal and link their case to the applicant’s case.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please call the ERAP hotline at 1-888-480-0066.