To create sustainable, healthy housing opportunities for underserved households through outreach, education and housing development.
- Northeast Denver Housing Center (NDHC) was organized as a private non-profit 501(c) 3 community development corporation in November 1982 in the state of Colorado.
- A board of directors representing the community, public and private sector governs NDHC.
- The Executive Director is the chief operating officer with full-time paid staff and consultants.
- The annual operating budget for NDHC is approximately $ 10,000,000 (not including construction and special projects).
- NDHC’s development work and programs address many of today’s urban concerns; blight, deterioration of housing stock and buildings, energy efficiency, environmental clean-up, lack of affordable housing and need for self-improvement and social mobility towards self sufficiency and out of poverty.
Programs and Accomplishments:
- Comprehensive Housing Counseling: As a Housing & Urban Development certified counseling center for the past 40 years, NDHC provides one on one and group educational services to an average of 400 households annually ( over 16,500 households assisted to date). The assistance prepares clients to make better choice and decision regarding their housing and mortgage loan conditions in the areas of purchasing a home, refinancing a mortgage or borrowing a second mortgage, preventing foreclosure and reverse equity loans for seniors. Certified housing counselors provide the services.
- Healthy Homes Initiative:The Healthy Homes, Healthy Living (HHHL) program is designed to connect residents of Northeast Denver Housing Center properties to services, education, and activities to help individuals and families reach their healthy living goals.
- Housing Design and Development: working with the housing counseling and HHHL program area NDHC produces affordable and market rate housing to serve the Denver community. NDHC has produced over 1,800 units consisting of both single and multi family The development consisted of acquiring and rehabilitating existing structures as well as the development of vacant land- with new construction. NDHC has utilized multiple layers and source of funding ranging from government grants, to low income housing tax credits, special bond financing, and market rate commercial products.
- Asset & Property Management: NDHC provides asset and property management services and oversight working with third party professional property management companies. NDHC has approx. 600 units in its portfolio that it has ownership interest and oversight .
- 1996 American Institute of Architects Western Mountain Region Design Award for the Austin Building, a historic mixed-use building with 18 affordable apartments.
- National Excellence Award for Best Practices – NDHC was one of 25 agencies in the nation to receive recognition for its “Continuum of Program Enriched Housing” by HUD/EPA/DOE. The program was recognized for its sustainable approach in the design and deliver of programs and housing for lower income households. As winner of the award, NDHC was showcased at the international conference of the United Nations, Habitat II: Human Settlements, held in Istanbul, Turkey in June 1996.
- 1999 Green Built Home of The Year – Awarded by the Denver Home Builders Association NDHC’s pilot demonstration single-family new construction units won the annual award. A 1480 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home exhibited the latest technology (photovoltaic to produce electricity), and an array of environmentally safe and recycled products to win the competition.
- Winner of the Colorado Renewable Energy Society’s 1999 Renewable Energy in Buildings Award for Affordable Housing for the Clermont Residence
- 2000 Certificate of Recognition for Green Building for the Bruce Randolph Healthy Homes Project
- 2005 HUD’s Secretary’s Award for Excellence for the Madison Healthy Homes project
- 2008 Governor’s Excellence in Renewable Energy in affordable Housing
- 2008 Enterprise Foundation recognition of the FIRST – green built affordable housing the meets Enterprise Green Communities Standards
- 2008 GOLD Leed certification for the FIRST affordable housing to meet such standard in COLORADO